I Have Been Appointed Personal Representative of My Mother’s Estate, Can I Sell the House? 


Ask a Question Series – Part 1 of 7: 

Can I sell the house, now that I have been appointed Personal  Representative?  

Answer: Yes. 

  1. Once you have been appointed personal representative of an estate in Maryland you have the authority to sale the real estate in your mother’s estate. 
  2. The sell of the house must be reasonable when viewed against the real estate conditions in the area, market price and the condition of the property. 
  3. If the property has a mortgage, keep the payments current, if possible. It is not uncommon for lenders to begin foreclosure proceedings within weeks of a missed payment. 

This Ask a Question Series will return soon with part 2 of 7. 

Let us know if you have a question about wills, trusts, estates or small business matters. Visit us here: http://www.abettslawblog.com/contact

We will try to answer all questions, but we make no guarantee as to whether or not your question will be featured on this blog.  

This question and answer series is for informational purposes only and not intended for legal advice. Consult with an attorney regarding your particular matter. 

Aquanetta J. Betts is an attorney, speaker and blogger. She is licensed to practice law in Maryland and the District of Columbia. Connect with her:

Twitter: @AquanettaBetts IG:@attorneyaquanettabetts LinkedIn: AquanettaBetts #Abettslaw

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s